Tuesday 1 April 2014

Should I travel Solo in Vietnam?

I am spending 9 months living in Vietnam and Cambodia and volunteering.... most of it on my own. As a result when I meet other people and they realise that I am alone, they constantly go on about how brave I am... or how risky it is to travel alone etc. etc.

I really annoys me. Because if I was male, no one would care that I was travelling alone.  Now don't worry.... this isn't going to be a rant about how women can do anything men can do better....  I just want to make women who have been listening to those doubtful people know - IT IS FINE!

Travelling alone fear #1 walking alone

Yeah, it is true... I don't go out walking alone at night time in dodgy streets or alleyways. Not in Danang where I live, not when I am travelling to other towns. But here's a secret.... I don't go out walking alone late at night in Australia!
 
I don't walk around particularly poor areas any time of the day with my flashy expensive camera out, or waving my phone around either. But this is honestly just common sense! and anyone who is going to attack you if you happened to walk past them alone, is probably just as likely to attack you if you were with another person anyway. So just be sensible and don't walk around at 2am drunk as a skunk in dodgy suburbs. Easy..

If you are worried about being alone, stick with the busy parts of town. Don't stress too much though, people in Vietnam have a sleep in the middle of the day. Which means at 10 or 11pm there are often still plenty of people (even kids!) out on the streets. Many shops don't close until 9pm, so if you are worried about being able to go out for dinner... it will be fine!

If you are walking along late at night, you might have men come up to you offering all sorts of things. Usually to drive you to a party club, or drugs. Just say no and if they keep talking loudly say GET AWAY (say it calmly, don't scream it though!). This has always worked for me. If you half heartedly say no, worried about offending, they will think this means you actually want it - and keep harassing. In fact the only time in 9 months of solo travel that I felt slightly nervous was when I did go out at night, and stayed out until far later than I had intended. As my hotel was only at the end of the street and there were people close by I felt fine to walk alone. half way along the street four or five men were getting far too close to me, they were just trying to offer moto rides home, drugs and god knows what else. But when I firmly said no, get away from me, they left me alone.

Also, when walking along, smile at people and say hello (or xin chao). Don't avoid looking at anyone for fear they might attack.... just enjoy it. Plus, if you are being friendly and smiling and saying hello to people.... and anything bad does happen - from someone robbing you to falling down a hole. Someone is going to come help! They liked you, they want to help. If you avoid looking at them and try to be assertive and aggressive.... much less likely to come to your aid!

Thinking realistically. Yes, there are probably men here who would, given the chance, rape or rob someone alone. Just like in any other country. But most of them are smart enough not to target tourists. That is going to cause a hellava stink. Police and international agencies sniffing around. Vietnam has only recently stopped the death penalty for rape of adults in Vietnam. But I am thinking a long stint in prison here is not going to be pleasant.... and death penalty as unreported to international organisations is always a potential. So any potential rapist is going to prefer to target someone less likely to have the means to hunt them down. Probably poor local women. I know that sounds harsh and terrible. But honestly, that's the truth. Most scams focus on getting you to part willingly with your money, or taking it with you never seeing them - these crimes are unlikely to be reported to police, and if so very hard to track. Anything more serious though will be taken very seriously, and is likely to end very poorly for the person in question.

Travelling alone fear #2, I'll get ripped off

Why? why are you more likely to get ripped off? You are just as able to research the average price of things as anyone else. Yes, maybe because you are alone (male or female), people will try to charge you more. But honestly I have heard more from big groups about all their problems with overcharging than from solo travellers. This fear is definitely not justified!

Travelling alone fear #4 - I'll get mugged

alright, if you are alone (man or woman) you are potentially more likely than a group to get robbed. Maybe.
But again - just use common sense. If you have a handbag, keep it tucked in close to you or under you jacket. Don't dangle it from you arm or leave it in your bike basket. 

Don't put things down on the table at a cafe without holding them. e.g. leaving you DSLR sitting on the table while you eat.... that's just asking for it to get stolen! 

Don't advertise all the great things you have. - Yes, use your good camera to take awesome photos... but instead of then walking around with it dangling from your neck.... just tuck it back in that bag. If you are going to use a phone... maybe leave the iphone at home and bring a old phone (ask around, I am sure someone you know has an old, phone with a cracked screen or something).

All these tips.... Are really the same things you would be doing in London, or Sydney or anywhere else to avoid having your holiday ruined. So don't stress about travelling to Asia.

Travelling alone fear #4 - actually, I don't even know?

Um, I am out of ideas.... comment any fears you might have??


Other tips

Clothes
Vietnam is a progressive country, it isn't somewhere that women are hidden away and made to wear covers in public. In fact at some of the more popular modern cities women do wear tight or revealing clothes or bikinis.
However, it is still conservative and if you walk around in a mini skirt or tiny pants.... people will see that as being provocative. you might get more comments or leers than you would if you dress modestly! Yes, in some places they have huge numbers of tourists and are used to bikinis and singlets. But in rural areas wear a t shirt and decent pants and you will be fine.

Please PLEASE if you go to a temple or pagoda. YOU MUST wear pants or a skirt longer than you knees (or fully long for men) and clothes that cover your shoulders. To bare excessive skin is so hugely rude and it really makes me cringe every time I see tourists walking around in mini skirts and singlets in a pagoda.
So please, don't be that douchebag! If you think you might go to a pagoda, just take a scarf to cover up.

Comments
Sometimes, while walking along I have groups of boys yell comments from the back of a bike. unlike the crude comments you might get in Australia though, these are usually more like: I love you, you are beautiful etc. So don't get yourself in a tiz about some kids having a laugh.... just laugh it off and keep going! Even better - learn how to respond in a not rude, but funny way in Vietnamese. This will give everyone a laugh and definitely ease the tension.

Tours
If you are unsure - you might find yourself constantly worrying and so not enjoying yourself as much as you should! in that case the whole trip could be ruined. So maybe do think about heading out with an organised tour. You won't have to stress about being alone, you will get to meet lots of new people (some you might even make lasting friendships with.... others I bet you will wish didn't exist). Or if groups tours are not your thing.... I know they are not my thing - I honestly can't think of a worse way to travel! Try the easy riders around Vietnam. They are motorbike riders who do private tours, you can go alone or in a group and because you are pillion passenger (or rider if you are able) on a bike there is no extra cost for being alone (unlike those group tours!). You get to pick where you want to go, and what you want to see, but they will be able to offer some great ideas and itinerary suggestions. It is just as safe as getting into any taxi or hotel - in all cases you need to trust the person. Check out my other post on here about the Easyrider tours, specifically Mr Uyen who I have travelled with on a number of occasions.

Also check out my post of common scams - this can offer some more information about what risks you might have in Vietnam and how to avoid!



No comments:

Post a Comment